Sunday 28 April 2013

Avial

      Hi guys, hope you all had an amazing weekend!!  Here I have my parent-in-laws (finally got releived from babysitting for sometime) for an vacation visit.  Had an awesome time with them :) So, as I had told you in my previous posts, am an active member of Jagruti mam's Cyber partystyle cooking (You can view more details here) For this month's challenge I had prepared handvo, and as we have party over here, I prepared Sini's Avial.  Sini had prepared excellant avial and gave handy tips to acheive great taste too!!  I really appreciate her doing this, and that gave me very ease to prepare the same.
 

   


    I  prepared avial along with hot rice and vathakulambu.  Avial was excellant with such an combo.  Avial, itself can be had with hot rice.  It was very tasty and the aroma filled my entire home :)  And yes, Sini's preparation technique and methodology was simple to acheive great product.  Finally, my husband luved it and appreciated me for making lunch much healthier.  After all this,  I did felt bad, 'why didn't I prepare this before?? What took me so longggg? '   So,  guys, this avial is gonna top my regular food timetable  :)

So, let us move to avial making



Ingredients required

  • 3 cups of mixed vegetables like snakegourd, drumstick, yam, beans, carrot, golden cucumber, brinjal, potato, vazhakkai, ashgourd (all cut into 2" inch sticks, imagine french fries)
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut
  • Shallots/ sambhar vengayam - 3 to 5
  • Green chilly - 4
  • Imly/tamarind extract- made from lime sized imly ball
  • Curry leaves 12 numbers
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1 ladle of coconut oil


Method

In an kadaai, add cut vegetables along with turmeric powder, slit green chillies and salt.  Cover and cook with required amount of water till vegetables are three fourth done.  I cooked yam, potato separately because it needs lot of time to do so.  And after that I combined with other vegetable combo.



Grind grated coconut and shallots with very little water (just sprinkle some, dont pour) into coarse paste.  Combine this coarse paste with imli, curry leaves and add to precooked vegetables.  


Now carefully mix the avial and taste to check the salt.  Add salt accordingly.  Simmer for five more minutes.  After five minutes, add coconut oil and switch off the flame.  


Let this set for thirty minutes.  After so, serve hot with rice


Enjoy  :)






4 comments:

  1. You made this dish really good..tempting ! Thnx for taking part in potluck party :)ready for next month now ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super delicious avial, I always love it. Very healthy and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i still have to try my hands on this dish, looks easy , suely try it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys..
Kindly drop by ur suggestions for my post... Ur beloved comments/suggestions mean a lot to me!

nRelate Posts Only